Monday, November 28, 2011

The Thanksgiving Anti-Nap

Usually, on Thanksgiving, I eat, I nap, I chill.

But this year a friend convinced me to shake things up a bit. She had something much more exciting planned...


Yes, I actually went Black Friday Shopping. (Dun dun duuuunnnn!)

Don't worry... the earth is still orbiting the sun in the same direction it always has.

For those of you who know me, you know that I do not particularly enjoy shopping. I pretty much have what my family calls a "short shopping span." I shop with a goal in mind, hit the store where I can find that particular item, and am done.

The shopping gene skipped me.

However, I am capable of shopping for slightly longer periods if I am shopping with friends (or family). Because then it's not really shopping... it's spending time with my friends and getting a chore out of the way at the same time. (Yes, I just called shopping a chore!) The fact that I'm with someone makes it much more fun.

So there I was Thanksgiving night... actually wandering through the masses. We started about 10pm, although many stores had opened hours earlier. We did think it was a little ridiculous that a few places were open at 7pm or even 4pm!!! Anything to make an extra buck I guess.

At first, it felt a little foreign. But before long, I was actually having fun shopping. (Yes... the words "fun" and "shopping" just collided in a sentence by me.) We hit the mall, we hit a couple strip malls, we hit other stores. The majority of my Christmas shopping was completed that night. Oh... and let me say that when 6am found us winding down our shopping at a local Einstein's, I was still energized.

Will I do it again?

Absolutely! ...as long as my friend is there to make it fun again.

No comments:

Post a Comment