Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sisterly Love

My sister moved back to town last year and we love that we live in the same city now. We see each other at least once a week (usually more). Our boys love each other. (Little Dude calls his cuz "my best friend cousin.") And we call each other almost every day.

This is all strange if you consider that when we lived in different states we hardly spoke to each other at all. Pretty much all our updates were funneled through our Mom. And if you knew us when we were kids, you are probably shocked right now.

Our relationship was always extreme. We either were best friends or bitter enemies - either drove our mom nuts. And when I moved to LA after college, we hardly talked. Mom really kept our relationship going by sending her (and a friend) to visit me during their spring breaks. It wasn't just the miles that kept our relationship distant.

But something happened before my li'l sis moved back. She got pregnant and had a kid. And although we were states apart from each other, it bonded us. She actually called me for advice. I actually flew out there to visit her and her newborn. Somehow, motherhood bonded us in a way that nothing else could.

When I found out that my sis was moving back, I was excited. But I was a little nervous too. Would our relationship go back to the way it was before? Would all that sibling rivalry come back?

Luckily, when she moved back, we became even closer. We talk more, we see each other more, we share more. She joined the gospel vocal group my mom and I were in. She has my family over for dinner each week. I spend much more time with her than any of my other friends.

Yep, I said other friends... meaning I consider her to be one.


In fact, last night she showed me once again how much she loves me. She's been encouraging (that's the nice way of saying "pushing") me to join her step-aerobics class. I called her midday to tell her I was going to try it after work. She wasn't sure she could, or would, go with me because she had already been to the same class earlier that day. However, who showed up for the class and even showed me some of the instructor's favorite moves before class started? That's right! My sister!

Nothing says love quite like sacrificing yourself at the gym!

Love ya, sis!

3 comments:

  1. Okay - now I am crying! You are so sweet - and I say that completely without prejudice.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sweet post!! Love hearing that you girls are true friends now. But, no way your mama isn't prejudiced. LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Finally found a way to thwart stupid blogger!

    I hear that on the sister-relationship change post-childbirth. Funny how living in the same house (sometimes sleeping in the same room) with the same siblings eating the same cooking... has less of an impact than swapping kid-stories.

    Glad you're friends!

    ReplyDelete