Friday, August 19, 2011

Kid's Say the Darnest Things

The things that come out of Little Dude's mouth often surprise and amaze me. He is quite a master of conversation. He'll throw out large words like "disgusting," "fabulous," and "marvelous," which will surprise us.

My favorite was when he told his teacher at school that his shoelace had "lost its aglet." The teacher didn't even know what an aglet was! (Thanks to Phineas & Ferb, our family is well acquainted with the word.)


Sometimes, Little Dude has a way of stating the obvious that just makes us smile. For instance, before his birthday we were talking about how he'll one day be a teenager and then an adult. He threw up his hands in exasperation and said, "I just keep getting older and older!"

Sometimes, Little Dude will add his own little twist of fiction to fact. Like the other Saturday morning when he informed us (while eating a donut), "If I eat too much sugar, I'll turn into a cow and jump over the moon!"

And other times, Little Dude is just filled with so much imagination that I don't even know what is wandering through his little brain.

Wednesday night at church, he was learning about Jonah and the whale. He told his Bible study leader that a few weeks ago I got upset with him, but then an alligator swallowed him. He was in the gator's stomach for 5 weeks, and I was sad until Jacob was finally able to get out.

Hmm...


When I asked him about that story the next morning he said, "Well, when I was Jonah I got swallowed by a shark."

"You did?"

"Yes. And other kids got swallowed by the shark too. But I steered the shark."

"You steered the shark?"

"Yes. And we were in there for 3 weeks."

"That's a long time."

"Yeah. But then the shark pooped and we came out."

"Wait... are you sure the shark didn't throw up and then  you came out?"

"No. The shark pooped. It was gross. Ew... poopy shark behind." (Followed by hysterical laughter.)

Sure, I obviously need to read him the story of Jonah a few more times before it sticks, but I do enjoy his wild imagination.

4 comments:

  1. I just got an update from the other Grandma... Jacob DOES know the story of Jonah. He just told her that God told Jonah to go tell some people about Him, but Jonah didn't listen to God. Then a whale swallowed him. He prayed to God and said he was sorry, and then the whale spit him out. Good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, DJ!! The pic of you guys with the Alligator is hilarious too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love him! Reminds me so much of Zach at that age. You should have him record a story (does your computer have voice-to-text software?) & publish a book!

    ReplyDelete